A dalliance with Dahlias

I decided to grow some dahlias this year. From April to August my first foray into the world of the dahlia was entirely underwhelming - first they took a total age to even poke through the soil, then after another age they had absolutely zero buds on. Then in August, just as we were packing the car to head off to Scotland for two weeks I saw the first bud and realised that they were going to flower while we were away. Typical. I decided I was done with dahlias and wouldn't bother again.

But then we came home from Scotland and were greeted by one solitary beautiful little purple Wizard of Oz flower in the pot by the back door and I thought well that's nice. And then an absolutely massive dinner plate of a beauty bloomed by the drive, and I thought so this is why people go on about dahlias. And THEN my favourite one of all, a big pink one just appeared out of NOWHERE one night on a plant that I'd completely given up on. Mind blown. I have now decided I will grow these again next year, and the year after and the year after that. 

This is my favourite one, I don't even know what it is.


This lady's head got so big she couldn't even hold it up anymore and it snapped off. I think it's called Fleurel.

To be fair I think the only reason they seemed to take so long to grow was that I had too much damn time on my hands during lockdown and kept going out to check on them. In a normal year I'm sure I would have just been off doing my thing and forgetting them and letting them sprout in their own sweet time.

Wizard of Oz

Anyhow, now I've seen  when they are done blooming I will diligently dig up the tubers and keep them nice and safe inside for the winter ready for round two in 2021.